Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Lessons Learned

On reflection, I learned that there are many open source Web 2.0 tools online that I can use in the future. Randy helped introduce me to Animoto. I got some experience in VoiceThreads. But, my other classmates helped me to see the vast possibilities in such online tools as Garage Band authoring software (Tracee), http://www.weebly.com (Peggy), http://www.teachertube (Peggy), Jing & Moodle (Jason), http://prezi.com/34727/ (Randy), AuthorStream (Jonathan), and Movie Maker (Jolandra). Through my classmates, I learned that we can combine multimedia writing in audio, video, music, text, and photos to produce powerful interpretations that show mastery of a given online Web 2.0 tool or subject area. (Richardson, 2006) I hope to learn to use many of these Web 2.0 authoring tools in the future.

I learned about the future classroom and its pocket computers, small personalized learning groups, and multimedia contact with experts to connect theory to actual practice. I really loved Dr. Sugar’s reference to Alvin Toffler (Daly, 2009) because Toffler believes education should be contextualized around themes of what students have a personal interest in such as sports, or English for Toffler himself. I like the idea of transforming schools from the holding cell concept, or custodial place concept, to a place of creativity that maximizes each student’s potential. I will use Toffler’s point of view when formulating how education should change in the future.

I learned that it is alright not to know the right answer, but you must know where to find the right answer online. (Richardson, 2006) I learned that we must now be more critical consumers of information online because of the ease to publish without review. I agree with Lick (2001) that we must learn before we can change. We must learn how to find, use, and assemble Web 2.0 blog and wiki techniques before we can change in creating our own blogs and wikis. The three R’s of learning have transformed to the three C’s of connecting, content creating, and collaborating. Our ability to publish and interact on the web using reading, reflecting, writing, and participating will produce different kinds of relationships on the web that are more enduring and assuring of new opportunities to become global change agents. (Richardson, 2006) In the future, I want to use my new multimedia skills to become an effective global change agent.

References

Daly, J. (2009). Future school: Reshaping learning from the ground up. Retrieved March 7, 2009, from http://www.edutopia.org/future-school

Lick, D. W. (2001). Leading change: Creating the future for educational technology. Retrieved May 17, 2009, from http://campustechnology.com/Articles/2001/12/Leading-Change-Creating-the-Future-for-Education-Technology.aspx?p=1

Richardson, W. (2006). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reference. I am so excited about all the possibilities that I can do with all the multimedia tools we have learned about this quarter. We were so blessed to have been in a course with such tech savvy peers that were aware of all the technologies out there. I know I can move a little bit further into the 21st century technology environment. Despite the constraints some educational systems use as filters to prevent harm from coming to student (which also limit educational opportunities, I am able to expose my students to a future environment that can help them gain new knowledge. I wish all the best for you and hope the little contribution I provided really exposed you to something you can use in the future.
    -Jolandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, the potential that has been unlocked, is to me, quite amazing. I am amazed at all that can be done, and even though I have always considered myself to be somewhat tech savy, I know there is always more to learn. When you mentioned needing to be effective consumers of information in the online world, it brings to mind the theory of connectivism, which in my learning theories course I was vehemently opposed to as a learning theory. The idea that the pipe was more important that the contents of the pipe was antithetical to everything I believed about education. But as time has gone on, the more I am beginning to think that Siemens probably has something right, maye not 100%, but in general, he's on to something.

    I hope you will continue your blog, as I have enjoyed your writing. Best of luck to you in your future academic endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jolandra, Dr. Sugar, you and the rest of my classmates have been a real inspiration for me this quarter. You helped me to see a world of difference that multimedia blogs, wikis, Web 2.0 tools can make in the classroom of our 21st century educational technology domains of learning. We have come such an incredible ways since the start of this class. I feel that I have evolved into a new type of person willing to venture into paradigms that were quite foreign to me before my introduction to the world of online dialogue and communications. Collaborating with you this term has been educational and thought-provoking. You have introduced me to concepts, especially iPod innovations, that I will watch carefully as they evolve in our later technology adventures. Thanks for helping me to grow and learn in a new way. I hope to collaborate with you using Skype or our blogs in the future. Best wishes for continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonathan, you are definitely tech savvy. I have learned so much from your dialogue and conversations about how best to use technology in the future. I will continue to follow your blog in the future. I know I will continue to learn from your wide array of technology attributes. Thank you for all of your assistance this quarter. Tablet PCs is a presentation that I will always think about with memories of your Slideshare presentation that was outstanding. I really like that you consider the content more important than the vessel. Internal makeup has always been the apple of my eye as well. But the vessel is becoming more pronounced and quite appealing to multimedia advocates. I think we have all been indoctrinated into a new world of thought and preparation for a global existence that is on the horizon. Thank you for helping me and our class to connect and collaborate in a new global level of learning. I hope to grow in the process of communicating and learning to collaborate with you and others on a more regular basis.

    ReplyDelete