Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Asynchronous Tools

I responded to Sara Gorlewski’s blog entitled “The asynchronous tool that I explored” at http://gorlewski.blogspot.com/2008/10/asynchronous-tool-that-i-explored.html.

Sara, I like your Voice Threads blog and how you applied it to your class by adding photos from your last trip to Spain with a topic for each picture. As a Spanish teacher, you have found a way to integrate Voice Threads into your class by using videos and photos to teach culture. I like your idea of using your own experiences as spring boards for your students to compare and contrast how they see the same picture online and how you sensed the site in person. Would it be possible to do a survey of how many students shared the same responses to the same pictures as compared to opposite responses to the same pictures to see how the lived experience compares with the web experience? It is possible that the lived experience has more positive engagements than the web experience.

However, the ability to reflect on pictures after viewing them the first time may give learners a different perspective when the mind has an interval to compare different angles and different research that may show levels of understanding and language development that is more developed and on target. I like the idea of helping students develop speaking skills by encouraging them to post a speaking vignette on Voice Threads to explain the picture. This gives an interactive response that is engaging and collaborative at the same time. It also builds student self-confidence in speaking Spanish more fluently.

I have just had my first experience creating a Voice Threads assignment for class. I enjoyed the learning experience. I am still learning and hope to understand several more features.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting how teachers can use every day tools like Facebook to draw in students. I read the blog you responded to and my first reaction was what a great idea. She learned to use a new tool as well as connected her students to that tool. I am interested to see how that tool works. I also liked the use of Facebook because this is a commonly used social networking site that students are familiar with. They would feel comfortable as well as learn some information from their teacher and her experiences in Spain. I teach elementary students and often need a way to illustrate some points. Using this tool and my personal pictures from places I have visited would make the experience more relative to my students as opposed to just viewing it online. Seeing me actually in the pictures makes the places seem real. Both your response and the original blog has opened the door to a tool I was unaware of and may be able to use in my own environment. Thanks.
    -Jolandra

    ReplyDelete